Tuesday, November 1, 2011

webquest 2

http://its.guilford.k12.nc.us/webquests/armenia/armenia.htm

This webquest was functional but not as good as the first one I looked at. The web page is not as dynamic as the last one. It still works but I can tell a lot of work went into the last webquest I looked at, and not as much with this one. The guiding questions are kind of bland. Guiding questions should ask why, or at least more than basic iformation and these really do not move up blooms taxonomy at all. I do like how its broken into 4 groups, so the students aren't overwhelmed with info. The sources are easily found by scrolling down, so that is a positive point. The assessment is again functional but not as interactive as it could be. Overall I see this webquest as very basic and easy.

4 comments:

  1. I wonder if you found this webquest lacking because the first one you found was so good. I had that happen to me. You made good points about using Bloom's to make your students think in a more complex manner. I agree that breaking students into groups can be good because it allows for a division of work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This webquest was lacking for me as well, mostly because it kept blinking at me, making me happy to not be epileptic. I am all for helping students think more critically, and basic questions that don't help synthesize thought just doesn't cut it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Completely agree. missing a lot of important pieces. Not visually pleasing. Good critique, agreed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Red text on an orange background. *gag*

    But seriously, this seems like a webquest for a home economics class or something similar to how they teach you to write checks and stuff - this is essentially teaching kids how to navigate the bureaucracy and all the paperwork with passports, visas, etc so that they can travel. I wonder how relevant this is to them - maybe this is for some ritzy private school, but I doubt most American public school kids will ever even leave the country and it's sort of a waste. However, most of the lessons on Armenians, Assyrians, etc are extremely depressing and it is nice to see one that doesn't focus on the massacres and stuff.

    ReplyDelete