Monday, September 21, 2009

Final hours in Ireland

Time: About 4:30 P.M. September 20th
Place: Eatery in the Shannon Airport, Ireland
Status: Bored (Hence the Blogging).
To whom it may concern,
I am spending my last hours in Ireland as I type. We have been in this airport for almost an hour and a half, and our flight does not leave for another 3 ½ hours. We had to make the choice of either arriving as early as we did or risk arriving about an hourish before our flight. In hindsight I wish we would have chosen the latter. This airport is dead and when we came into Ireland we found out the Irish customs system pretty much asks “Do you have anything with you that you think wouldn't be allowed in the country?” The correct answer was no and we were on our way.
To recap my stay in Ireland, we arrived on the 16th very early in the morning and pretty much walked from the plane to the bus. We were on the bus for about four hours until we reached the town of Westport. It was a lovely little town. We were met by Clifford's friend Donal minutes after we exited the bus and he showed us around Westport with his girlfriend Roison. Don't worry... if I saw a name typed like that I wouldn't be able to pronounce it either. The correct pronunciation is Row-Sheen. Anywho after a short stay in Westport we hopped on the ferry to the island that Donal lives on off the coast of Ireland, Clare Island. I don't really feel the need to go into detail about the scenery of the island because I think my pictures will do it justice. We met Donal's family whom were all amazing people, and incredibly hospitable. We spent our days on the island hiking around, taking pictures, and avoiding stepping in sheep droppings. Yes, this island probably had more sheep than people. Actually now that I think of it that island has tamed animals everywhere ie donkeys, dogs, obviously sheep, chickens and cats. My favorite sheep was Steven. All I can say about Steven is he is a girl, but they still called him Steven which I enjoyed very much, he/she was a fighter, and his/her sister tasted delicious yesterday. I must say the food Donal's mother Elizabeth made was delicious. Everything I ate I absolutely loved, and I'm not just saying that. We met many of Donal's friends whom were all great people, and we shared an unforgettable night (well I can't really say unforgettable, I remember most of the details but due to Guiness and Jameson some of the smaller notes get a bit fuzzy) at the local pub. We sang, Cliff danced, and Cliff made a huge impression on the Irish women. By the way, we arrived just in the nick of time to enjoy the simple pleasantries of “singles weekend”. Singles weekend is when all the singles on the island get together to enjoy the company of other singles (ages 35 and older... much older) and pretty much drink a ton. It was pretty hilarious if I do say so myself. So after four fun filled days of living up to the title of “tourist” Cliff and I packed our bags and headed for the ferry, back on the bus, to there airport where I sit now.
Overall out of ten I give my stay on Clare Island an 11.4. Yeah... it was that cool. I really enjoyed spending a couple days in a very rural part of Europe before I arrive in Manchester. Although I am also very excited to arrive in Manchester, get into my new apartment, and start school. We'll see how things turn out. So until next time I get bored enough to inform everyone of what is going through my brain, so long and see ya when I see ya.
Tony Fisher

ps. Start using the word gobshite. It's a very worth while word that you may want to add into your vocabulary.

Pps. The worst thing about not being in the states (other than not being with my family and friends whom I love very much) is missing everything the entire NFL season. If the Lions don't win a game this entire season again I will blame it on my absence. Go Bills!

1 comment:

  1. You are repulsive. Mainly for this comment, "...and his/her sister tasted delicious yesterday."

    Anyways! Miss you. Send me some fricken cadbury eggs!!

    ReplyDelete